Skip to main content

Battles and Blessings

''Do you ever wonder if we make the moments in our lives or the moments in our lives make us? Ever wonder how long it takes to change your life? What measure of time is enough to be life-altering? Is it four years, like high school? One year? An eight-week walking tour? Can your life change in a month, or a week, or a single day? We're always in a hurry to grow up, to go places, to get ahead…but when you're young, one hour can change everything… ''

Over easter this year, very much came to a halt for me. Both the chemotherapy and radiotherapy all came up at once and felt ever so sick over the easter break, but still manage to find strength in my heart to see my sister celebrate her birthday, it was just so awesome to do something so 'normal' and very special at the same time. I'm coming to an home run at the moment with my first cycle of treatment and then I can't wait for my much needed break for 2 weeks, depending on a stable MRI result. I just can't wait to do 'normal' things such as coffees, going out and having some much needed sleep ins to recover from what I call 'poison therapy'.

I am really excited about this weekend. My gracious sister Sarah, brother in law and sister in law have been organising for sometime a massive fundraiser with over 250 people attending. With auction raffles, prizes and an event not only to support my journey with cancer but to help fund further medical treatment and clinical trials to help save my life, as this is the deadliest type of brain cancer. So it's going to be an amazing, awesome fun night of celebrating what life is truly about. I can't thank enough everyone who has bought tickets and is attending, and the amazing businesses who have generously donated services and inventory to help save my life, and support my immediate family. It's going to make all the difference. Not only are those wonderful people are donating money to save a young man's life, they are giving him a hope, a future and to restore dreams. A hope of a family, a hope of being a father or to get to enjoy more of what this journey we call 'life'.

I have been asked how am I treating my current situation, like therapy and personal decisions as well. Here is what I am doing.

Faith
Chemotherapy Temodal
- Morng treatment- High amounts of nausea medication to help
Radiotherapy - External
- Constant hygiene, cold showers, clean clothes etc etc
Ginger Tea/Green Tea/Peppermint Tea (helps with nausea)
High Fibre Diet
Good stable diet mixtures of solid meats, vegetables (enough to provide huge iron intakes)
Great support Community groups, especially close family and friends
Being connected with positive online and offline support groups
Having a positive attitude
Watching positive movies and tv and being connected with Music (it really heals our soul)
Having deep and meaningful conversations with close family and friends.
Spending individual time on small walks

Cancer in my opinion is a partnership. Flirty dating is over and marriage kicks in too quickly and boom you have to do your bit. There is only so much the medical science can do, but at the end of the day you can make a difference.

Can't wait to see everyone at the fundraiser  Even if I'm super sick from treatment, I know within my heart I will be there.

God bless.

Thomas









Comments

  1. Beautiful post Tom. Hope you can make it Saturday x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2017- baby on the way and new career!

I seriously can't believe where has the time gone? Sometimes when you live in the moment you forget what the time is and things slip past you! My gosh it's been a long time writing a blog and can't believe it's coming to the end of 2017. So many incredible exciting things to share. My wife and I have announced we are having a baby boy! With the grace of God we are thrilled and can't wait to start this new chapter of our lives, just to think going back to the early days of chemotherapy and radiation oncology wouldn't think ever I would get this far, especially all the wonderful people for whom I have met along the way and many of them who have been on this journey with the same diagnosis who have passed away. I'm always thinking of them a raising a glass of scotch when I can to them. I miss them so much So can't believe its nearly the end of 2017, new beginnings on the approach. I can't wait to be a father, and be a good father to my little boy. M

I GOT ENGAGED

Hi everyone. Its been too long since I have been blogging away and I am going to start posting more and more and catch up to speed with everything. I have been up and down on an emotional eventful roller coaster the last few months, and cant wait to express everything that has happened. The title says it all! Yes a few weeks ago I took my girl for a mini holiday to the beautiful serenity of the alpine regions of Bright Victoria, yet little did she know I was going to propose to her. Jessica said yes such powerful emotions and love was shown that holiday and having such a terrible year an engagement and planning a wedding is enough to emotionally defeat the evils of cancer. The miracle of love ay. We have been dating for a long time and saying I love you all the time it was finally great to put that into concrete so planning an engagement party and a wedding has put me into a good emotional head space. Yet even though planning it I am now up to my 3rd cycle of Chemothearpy treatment

Good news, a holiday and another step forward

Hello everyone! It's been super ages since I wrote a blog page. It's been such an eventful few weeks with everything. Alot of close family and friends would know, but I would like to announce a fantastic victory in my hands. Recently, I had my MRI. As always I was nervous and very anxious. As MRI's determine your fate and can indicate if the tumor is responding. I'll cut to the chase, as soon as I got the MRI scan and my Oncologist came into the room with a big smile on his face. My tumor had shrunk by at least 40%! My tumor is responding to treatment! Praise God! Thank-you Jesus. Ten significant long months of fighting this blasted disease and finally got some good results. This was amazing, I felt like a thousand bricks lifted up and I slept for days as I was battled weary. For more information on this story, my awesome friend Jackson Miller who is going to become an outstanding Journalist has written an article about it. Here is the link. http://newsroom.macl